[tech] I set up a UCC Discord and IRC bridge bot

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 30 23:15:08 AWST 2016

I've been threatening to do it for a while, so now there is a UCC Discord,
with a bridge bot to #ucc. For those who haven't used it, Discord is a
online, multi-device voice and text chat application, with a gamer focus.
It's a proprietary service and they keep chat history for all time, so if
committee doesn't approve I'll pull it down.

Technical details: I created a container on medico and installed
https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc then configured it to connect to
a newly created Discord server. Currently I am the admin but the
permissions are quite flexible so we can add people as required.

Why did I do this? Discord has mobile and desktop apps, which means
members who are not die-hard screen users will be able to see chat history
from when they're not around. Basically it will hopefully increase
engagement with our members who are actually studying at uni, rather than
the old guard ghetto is has become.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |