[tech] IPv6 outage has returned; was Re: UWA planned firewall upgrades (Sun 18/11 & 9/12)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 21 12:11:37 AWST 2018

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 12:19:12AM +0000, Matt Tavani wrote:
> The call says 'in progress' but no notes on there, so not sure anything has been changed as yet. Glad to hear it's working though.

As of this morning, Wed 2018-11-21 01:00 , I'm afraid the issue has returned
and is ongoing.

$ hostname;fping6 -Aen ipv6.google.com ipv6-test.com  www.facebook.com
motsugo
syd09s06-in-x0e.1e100.net (2404:6800:4006:802::200e) is unreachable
agaric.t0x.net (2001:41d0:8:e8ad::1) is unreachable
edge-star-mini6-shv-01-syd2.facebook.com (2a03:2880:f119:8083:face:b00c:0:25de) is unreachable

By "the call" - you mean the status on an existing ServiceNow issue?
Do you have a ticket ID? I don't believe we've seen emails regarding that issue.
Were you able to add our usual contact address as an "external
contact" in the service ticket (which requires an "analyst view" of the
ticketing system)?

> I can't assist on the 1.1.1.1 thing as that is beyond the scope of what I can get into from a project perspective. If you email the service desk with the issue they will forward it onto either Networks or Security for a response.
> Cheers, Matt

OK, will do.

(Sorry: I had thought you might be in a better place to check the core
question, not specific to US or that service:
Has the new firewall been preloaded with legacy rules, e.g.
  * excluding the whole of 1.0.0.0/8
)

Also - I probably should have checked the following for testing/triage
purposes in previous weeks; but it's very handy to have some clear
answers for machines that are on the Crawley campus but not part of the
UCC network:

What is a good core:
  * UWA Crawley campus IPv6 address; and
  * UWA Crawley campus IPv4 address
that I should be able to ping from outside UWA?

Thank you,
Nick.
wheel at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal