[tech] Upgrades for Pinball and Clownfish

Tom Almeida tommoa at ucc.asn.au
Wed Apr 10 18:31:57 AWST 2019

Hi all,

After having recently had a look at the specifications for various machines
in the clubroom, it has become pretty apparent that both Pinball and
Clownfish are in dire need of an upgrade. I've listed their specs below:

Name CPU GPU Mobo RAM Storage
Pinball Intel Core i5-750 NVidia GeForce 960 ASUSTeK P7P55D LE 8GB (2x4GB)
DDR3-1333 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Clownfish AMD A8-3850 NVidia Geforce 8800 GT ASUSTeK F1A75-M LE 8GB (2x4GB)
DDR3-1333 Corsair Force 3 120GB
Obviously Pinball has a "good enough" GPU and a pretty decent SSD, so those
are likely not needing upgrading, however it seems to me as though almost
everything else should be upgraded. Here are what I'd like to propose as
new components for both of the computers:

   - CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600 - $244
   - GPU: MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost - $550
   - Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 - $139
   - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) - $150
   - Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - $120

All together, this would be a sum total of ~$1736 for all the parts for
both computers given that everything gets bought new.

Please let me know what you all think.

Cheers,
[THA]