[tech] PHP5 turnoff and mussel upgrade

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 9 22:14:18 AWST 2019

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019, Andrew Adamson wrote:
> I have turned off mod_php5 on mussels apache config, and enabled mod_php7,
> since php5 is end of life. This will quite possibly break some things,
> however those things are going to have to be upgraded to suit php7. Also
> we cannot run both versions concurrently. Technically, the replacement
> php7.0 module is already end-of-life as well, but the current debian
> stable version doesn't have any newer candidates...and anything being
> fixed for php7.0 should be fine when we move to php7.3. I note the webcams
> page php script needs a bit of tweaking to suit.
>
> Regarding the availability of packages, I see that Debian Buster is in
> full-freeze since March 12, so we could realistically look at upgrading
> now.

PHP 7.0 is still under Debian security support, so I don't think there's
any pressing reason to upgrade.

Roundcube <https://secure.ucc.asn.au/rcube/> was an old version that
didn't support PHP 7, so I've updated it to the version packaged in
Debian. It seems to work OK, though I haven't turned the plugins that were
formerly enabled back on ('html5_notifier', 'legacy_browser').

[DAA]
zanchey@