[ucc-announce] UCC News - Friday, March 12 2010 Edition

Matt Didcoe mattman at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 12 17:45:19 WST 2010

| GET / HTTP/1.1
| Host: news.ucc.asn.au

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Date: Fri, 12 March 2010
_   _  ____ ____     _   _
| | | |/ ___/ ___|_ _| \ | | _____      _____
| | | | |  | |   (_|_)  \| |/ _ \ \ /\ / / __|
| |_| | |__| |___ _ _| |\  |  __/\ V  V /\__ \
\___/ \____\____(_|_)_| \_|\___| \_/\_/ |___/
The information broadcast from the University Computer Club.
Welcome || Internet Access || Downtime || Events || 2010 Freshers || 2010 Renewals

Welcome
========

Welcome to 2010 everyone! Tuesday saw the election of the committee to
lead the University Computer Club for the coming year. The results, as
I'm sure a number of you will have observed are:

   - President: Matt Didcoe [MRD]
   - Vice President: Daniel Axtens [DJA]
   - Treasurer: Andrew Adamson [BOB]
   - Secretary: Conrad Pogson [LOL]
   - Fresher Rep: Jonathan Van Buren [ODF]
   - OCM: Chris Squire [CJS], John Hodge [TPG], Nathan Shaw [YES]

As usual, if you have anything you want to put to committee, email
committee @ucc.asn.au or, if it's more "sensitive", you can also
email committee-only @ucc.asn.au.

We're currently seeking input on events you would like to see this year
along with any other ideas you have for projects or general things you'd
like to see UCC involved in.

Internet Access
================

Its with great excitement that I can share with you all some good news.

Brian Greene, Director of IT Services today organised for the University
to centrally fund all UCC internet traffic.

What does this mean for UCC?

   1. A saving of $1600/yr for the club
   ($600 in AARNET costs & monthly Resnet expenses)

   2. Faster connectivity
   In theory, the Club and its members will now have a faster connection
   for both on-net and off-net traffic. With plans to acquire a second
   AARNET fibre connection, this can only improve with time.

   3. Changes to "the way things work"(tm)
   The Wheel group are working closely with the Committee to get some
   changes made to our network that will allow everything to go over
   the AARNET link.

   One noticable change will be the securing of the UniComputerClub
   wireless access point - keep an eye on the mailing list and
   http://twitter.com/ucc_status for details of any upcoming changes.

This has been an effort of many people - I would like to extend my
personal thanks to Craig Williams who has put in many hours helping me
craft a case for UCC and has also been spreading support for UCC around
ITS.

Conrad Pogson and Scott Young are also to be thanked for their work
in getting the wheels rolling on this last year.

Downtime
=========

We would like to make members aware that next weekend, March 20-21, there will
be some downtime affecting mussel and musundo (an possibly other machines).
Updates will be posted to the UCC twitter, available at
http://twitter.com/ucc_status.

Events
=======

Keep your eyes on the mailing list as well as the UCC site for many upcoming
events, including the traditional easter weekend lan and a restart of Monday
at the Movies, a great series of events from last year.

If members have any events that they would like to see run, please send an
email to the committee and we will be happy to assist with the running of the
event.

2010 Freshers
==============

Are you a new member in 2010? Jonathon Van Buren, you're Fresher Rep
wants to hear from you!

If you'd like to get involved in the club and be up to date on events
for first time members, email vanbujm @ ucc.asn.au

2010 Renewals

Account fees are now due for all past members for the 2010 membership
year. For details on how to renew, see: http://www.ucc.asn.au/member/2010/

---

EOF

Matt Didcoe