[ucc-announce] Tech Fix-Up - 1-6pm Monday 17th June

Grace Rosario mallow at ucc.asn.au
Thu Jun 13 18:51:54 AWST 2019

Hey UCCans,

UCC is running a tech "fix-up" on MONDAY 17TH JUNE 2019, starting 1pm
and going until late. FOOD WILL BE PROVIDED during the event for all
participants, and we'll probably aim to go past Chelsea's Pizza in
Nedlands for dinner around 5:30pm. NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE NECESSARY
(although recommended).

The purpose of this event is to get people together doing stuff with
UCC's systems, and perform a range of maintenance tasks at the same
time.

This is as much a learning opportunity as an event to fix broken things.
Everyone of all skill levels is welcome to come down and learn a little
bit more about UCC.

A couple of the tasks that we are planning on working on on Monday
include the following:

### Easy

- Indexing and verifying Out-Of-Band management logins
  - Must be checked/updated in DNS
  - Make sure passwords are not default, and properly recorded

- Produce & print document with startup/shutdown orders

- Check that NFS mounts remount properly on boot
  - merlo, eggman, samson, mooneye

- Installing updated windows server VM in the cluster

- Install SSD's in desktops (cichlid, corydoras, corvo)

- Installing new parts in desktops generally

- Possibly moving desktops around, locations to be decided

### Moderate

- Upgrading firmware on the two working IBM x3550 M4 servers, prior to
selling

- Getting new Cisco server configured as proxmox VM host

- Installing / configuring the PCIe SSD as ZFS cache drive for molmol

- Rebuilding mooneye into separate VMs
  - Mail server (postfix) / IMAP/POP3 server (dovecot)
  - Mailing lists (mailman)
  - DNS

- Uploading etckeeper repositories to central Git server [Optional]
(etckeeper keeps track of configuration files on Linux, using Git as a
version control backend)

- Moving patch cables around in the Cameron Hall comms cupboard to use
separate cables for the uplink and for other clubs

- Move webcams to a separate VLAN (so they aren't on the clubroom
network)

- Configuring monitoring software on clubroom machines & servers
  - This may be using LibreNMS, or other software depending on what
people want to do
  - Temperature monitoring in the machine room

### Hard, definitely requiring technical expertise

- Upgrading bitumen's chassis (we have two spare units which may be
compatible)
  - Bitumen is the UCC's core network switch, and taking it out will
break the network completely

- Upgrade FreeBSD on molmol
  - This is urgent and will require most UCC services to be shut down

### Almost impossible

- Consolidating random nested git repositories all over UCC systems
[Optional]
  - Some of the repositories contain stuff that shouldn't be public
(like passwords), but most of them are just in weird places and contain
too much junk

If you've seen something that interests you, or you are merely keen to
come down, talk to some people, and see how everything in UCC works, we
hope to see you there.

Kind regards,

Grace Rosario
[MLG]
UCC Secretary

--

"[5] Do it by the book, but be the author" - Peter