[Uccarbor] Ok...

Luke Williams shmookey at shmookey.net
Sun Dec 3 13:36:40 WST 2006

On 12/3/06, Cameron Patrick <cameron at ucc.asn.au> wrote:
> I have vague experience of playing around with Scream Tracker under
> DOS; are there modern equivalents of these that we could use?  (*shrug*
> I'm not particularly musically or artistically talented.)

Too young to remember, will investigate.

> I currently don't own a machine that runs Windows.  I'm not sure how
> much of a disadvantage this'll put me in, given that (while it's not
> specifically stated on the web site) the demos will be judged under
> Windows. Unless people want to try for a portable Windows/Mac/Unix demo
> using a library like SDL?

I'd like to use GL through SDL, my only concern is that we might be
throwing away some valuable experience - apparently Leighton has
worked with D3D a fair bit. Supposing we end up using DirectX for
whatever reason, you can always compile remotely at UCC and use
Wine/Cedega to run it locally. The Direct3D emulation, particularly in
Cedega, is pretty solid these days, and the core engine is free as I
understand it. Obviously this is not an optimal solution, but it's
something to consider. My only Windows box is at UCC, so unless we'd
be really missing out by not using Direct3D, it sounds to me like a
good idea to use the SDL GL interface.

luke