[Uccarbor] Ok...

Leighton Haynes dayta at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Dec 3 20:39:23 WST 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 05:55:41PM +0800, Alwyn Lloyd wrote:

> > Ok guys.. thought I'd try to start the ball rolling by asking what
> > people think they're capable of.
>
> i can write music.  i can design synths :p
> i can also have a stab at artwork etc, though i wouldn't say its really
> that good.
>
> i can also code, though im not really up on C++
>
> does C# let you use the d3d engine?? i can't really see procecesor speed
> being a huge limiting factor.. unless i am well overestimating the
> avaliable processor power in realation to what needs to be done..

C# on windows is fine for Direct3D, but it'd be a pain for the linux
guys to do anything useful, so I'm thinking we use C++.

> i'd like to use , mm, i guess the word is generative things, like maldebot
> (sp??) and game of life style things to generate evolving 'things' to use
> during the demo.  maybe using it to generate the textures or evolve the
> samples used for the soundtrack.

Yeah, I'm pretty big on this stuff too. Also, as a general thing, if we
do use a 3rd party engine, we probably need as requirements:
    * the ability to take screenshots easily (to allow for feedbacky
      effects)
    * The ability to easily do 2d overlay stuff.
The top one is more likely to be problematic, but I've seen engines that
make the latter almost impossible too.

> the other thing is, as someone else pointed out, i think a strong theme,
> or idea is probably where we want to start from.. so maybe getting a few
> ideas of what we want to do and then doing a rough story board??
Any ideas for theme? :P

> quite a few demos at last years nulabor were pretty boring since it was
> just random camera movements around a scene. thats cool for the first 10
> seconds..   To be exciting and different you need to .. well., have a
> direction thats more than just random camera pans...

Agreed.

Leighton...

#0421 113 305 - dayta at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
"Linux is legacy, but it will be a start." Ken Kutaragi - SCE