[tech] mop on hydra

Duncan Sargeant dunc-mail-13130EB at rcpt.to
Tue Oct 3 19:29:01 WST 2000

Nick Bannon wrote on Tue October 03, at 18:12 +0800:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 05:30:14PM +0800, Duncan Sargeant wrote:
> > Hmmm, how about making it near the end of the boot sequence?  If all you
> > are worried about is waiting for a login on the console, ^C has
> > never failed for me.  And don't point home directories at NFS.
>
> Remotely, you want the router up as fast as possible...

You emphasise my point precisely.  By mounting NFS last, (eg
/etc/rc2.d/S99mountnfs), you have the router up° as fast as possible.

> You can mount it in the background, but you still have to wait for
> the first timeout.

ke?

° for all intents and purposes.  The only thing you can't do is login
  on the console, because we're not completely into runlevel 2, and
  those level 2 inittab entries can't be run yet.  A ^C aborts the NFS
  mounts and fixes that.

,dunc