[tech] Something is up with uccrouter..

Adrian Chadd adrian at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 15 02:06:25 WST 2001

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> Typhaon -> uccrouter gets reasonable transfer rates
> Typhaon -> morwong gets abysmal transfer rates (32:00 for 7Mb)
> morwong->uccrouter is fine
>
> Conclusion: packet forwarding on uccrouter is broken.
> I don't see anything suspicious in the syslog and the cpu
> load isn't looking bad, anyone have an idea what's up
> with it?

First place to check: check ethernet card duplex and speed settings
vs the switch they're plugged into. On all machines in the path
here (uccrouter, morwong)

Hint: Autodetect DOESNT.

If its a hub, check the interface configuration. It should match
the hub (10 or 100, half-duplex). Check the interface stats -
netstat -in is your friend. If the uccrouter -> morwong ethernet
domain is shared with other machines, check _their_ configuration
and statistics - a bad piece of ethernet cabling or a misconfigured
interface in a hubbed network can kill the performance to _all_ nodes.

Those are the first things I'd check.

Adrian