[tech] DVD burner working happily

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 28 22:27:20 WST 2002

In preparation for tomorrow's PLUG installfest I've just successfully
burnt some DVDs on cybium. (namely Debian Woody)

( http://installfest.plug.linux.org.au/ )

I downloaded the jigdo templates at home - I'd put the finished images
on meito, but due to a combination of 10Mbps ethernet and lack of space
I'm not going to get to it tonight. On that front, we oughta set about
improving the ethernet situation around here, and we should rearrange
cybium a little. (I assume we can kill off the old cod installation on
/dev/hda2, but we should repartition most of /dev/hdb to either FAT32
or 50/50 ext3/NTFS)

I've been using "hdparm -c1 -d1" on HDDs and the burner, plus ;

dvdrecord -dao -pad -v dev=0,1,0 speed=2 fs=64M driveropts=burnproof -eject filename.iso

Just over 27 minutes per burn (4.2GB). A dummy run (-dummy) is
recommended, but if you ^C the dummy run you must eject/reinsert the
media before the drive will let you try again.

Nick.

--
     Nick Bannon      | "I made this letter longer than usual because
  nick-sig at rcpt.to    | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal