[tech] FC array back online

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 2 23:41:28 WST 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, James Andrewartha wrote:
> After getting a working b95 install on Adrian's Ultra 5 (harder than you'd
> think) and plugging in a FC card from [TDH], the fibre channel array is
> back online. Fortunately the zpool didn't lose any more disks so all the
> data is still there. It's currently sitting on dhcp4 with manbo/musundo's
> root password.
>
> The current setup is not what I'd call production, even by UCC standards,
> so suggestions on what to do next are invited.

Tonight, while waiting for the /home array to resync, [NTU], [TRS] and I
discussed the possibilities of doing this for $0 rather than trying to
convince the committee to spend more money.

To this end, we've loaded up Manduba's chassis (the E4000) with six of the
US-II boards from Manbo (the E6000), and the clock board which allows the
backplane to run at 100MHz. This has been hooked up to the system drive
array from Manbo, so if the machine POSTs successfully the plan is to
re-use the old Manbo install (at least in the short term) to get the FC
arrays back online.

This machine will have a gigabit network connection provided the fibre
isn't broken (fingers crossed!) and will run the FC arrays at gigabit
speed, as well as finally using the LA-sponsored chips to their full
potential, so speed shouldn't be too much of an issue.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au

(I have even less idea about Sun and Solaris than anything else, so any of
the above might be wrong.)