[tech] Removal of my machine 'spaghetti' and note about game server 'heath'

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Jun 21 20:23:02 WST 2009

Rufus Garton Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Due to the growing number and magnitude of thefts at UCC, I have removed
> my desktop machine 'spaghetti' that was previously positioned next to
> the machine room. We clearly need to investigate some way of securing
> hardware in the clubroom to make it harder for thieves to walk out with
> expensive items like LCD monitors.

Hello

I'd wondered about a cage for each CPU box bolted on the underside of the
benches. Something made of arc-mesh with a padlocked and hinge down door on
one side in such a way that it isn't possible to feed a screwdriver in, undo
and slide aside the side panel then hoik out the memory or CPU.

Positioning the cages is critical for knee room and no abrasions from a
protruding sharp bits on the final cages.

This doesn't help the LCDs tho'. They might need stainless cables that fasten
to the wall or bench.

Best
Harry